3-Month Summer Outdoor Education Internship
Welcome to an exciting 3 month long Internship program where you will find an ultimate life changing experience in the Old Continent, living, learning and coexisting in a very international environment at a fabulous natural setting, close to the thriving city of Hamburg. During your 3-months Outdoor Education Internship program you will have the opportunity to pump up your outdoor skills by getting loads of training sessions, instruction dynamics, and leadership skills development. Camp Europe is committed to offer you, the chance to embark into an experiential learning process during which you will grow as a human being in many aspects; develop of soft-skills. Broaden up your international exposure and explore the unlimited wonders that the Old Continent has to offer.
If you are 21+ years old and looking for an amazing program in the Old Continent, you just have found the perfect place.So, feel free to explore all the information provided further down in this page, and if you decide this is something you are up for, go ahead and submit your on line application form. We will be glad to receiving it, evaluating it and processing it, in order to assist you with all that is needed for you to become part of our 3-Month Outdoor Education Internship. This invaluable Outdoor Education Internship program will foster your professional development as you will be trained and certified by a well-reputed European Outdoor Education Academy. You will obtain a world-validated certificate. Our intensive training sessions focus on developing a wide array of soft and hard skills, aimed at fostering specific outdoor educational profiles.
All in all, you will get a professional 3 month internship, divided in diverse sessions through which you will also be able to put into practice your recently acquired skills, by performing in real life, with children / youth, as a camp counselor, a group leader or a program area director. You will lead activities for youth and teens, including, but not limited to; rock climbing, canoeing, mountain biking, hiking, camping, orienteering, group initiatives and a high ropes course experience. You will be in charge of providing a safe and nurturing environment for our summer participants. This experience, without a doubt, will launch yourself into the world in the right direction, full of motivation and well trained.
Every year, we are proud to receive hundreds of gratitude letters from former participants who claim to have learnt much more than what initially expected. That is why we are proud to do what we do
- Placements Available: 12 – 18
- Duration: 3 months – mid June to mid September
- The execution of the program is divided into two phases: theoretical & practical:
- Mid-June: Intense Training week + Bronze-cross Lifeguard Certification Program + Setting up camp.
- July – August: Active participation as camp counselor, group leaders, language coach or support staff.
* 2 week break is scheduled at some point throughout the summer.
- September: Season-End Party organization. Campsite´s take down after summer sessions and follow-ups. Material & equipment storage and audit.
- Accommodation provided throughout the 3 month internship program.*except weeks off
- A 75 euro / week stipend is offered during your camp placement performance.*Not during training week nor take downs.
The preparation and implementation of the camp programs are work-intensive. A high degree of resilience and the ability of proactive behavior are key elements in order to cope the stressful moments, keeping a smiley face at all times.
- Enthusiastic and motivating personality.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Fraternal social skills.
- Good English fluency.
- Tolerance and understanding for other cultures.
- Responsible, committed as well as high degree of independence.
- A positive attitude for living in community at an outdoor setting.
- Minimum age: 19 years old, by July 1st.
- A class B driver’s license and experience in driving is an asset.
- Training weeks are not monetarily compensated, however, Camp Europe offers all training, equipment and material, plus full room & board free of charge.
- Camp Europe provides full support to those bachelor or master program students who are intending to write any of their Uni papers based on Outdoor Educational Programs and other topics related to the internship.
The scope of training covers a wide range of topics within the Outdoor Educational & Recreational activities spectrum, among we can find, to mention a few:
- Successful summer camp guidelines
- Creativity Workshops
- Alternative Play
- Adventure Sports
- Language Development
- Environmental Awareness
- Leadership skills
- Communication Development
- Community Building
- Universal Values
- International initiatives
- Social & Interpersonal Skills.
After the training you will have the opportnity to put into practice what has been learnt, by performing on a placement allocation at one or more of its campsites scattered around Europe. By performing as camp counselors, group leaders or program area directors, they will have to put into practice all the soft and hard skills accumulated during the initial training of their Internship program.
- Due to German Educational Stipulations, Nationals are exempted from this sort of program’s fees. However, they must cover the deposit of €50 for the mandatory staff training.
- EU Applicants are subject to submit Fee payment upon confirming their preliminary placement acceptance.
- International Applicants must pay the fee in two stages: €50 + €340
- In order to confirm attendance to an interview, it is requested to submit a deposit of €50, which will be deducted from the total fee of €390 that needs to be covered upon confirming preliminary placement acceptance.
- The deposit is 100% refundable in case CE is unable to offer you a placement.
- 3 months Summer Camp Internship. From mid-June to mid-September.
- Accommodation provided throughout the 3 month Outdoor Education Internship program, – Full Room & Board. *except weeks off
- 8 – 12 weeks of Performing Placements.
- Intensive Outdoor Activities Training.
- Meet people from all over the globe with like-minded interest.
- Acquire experience through your own creation of stimulating, fun and safe activities for children and youth.
- Travel around Europe during your time off, as well as by getting placed at diverse campsites across Europe (Austria, Ireland, Spain, and France).
- Perform either as a Camp Counselor, a Language Coach, a Group Leader or rather a Program Area Director.
- Receive a well-reputed and world validated Outdoor Education Internship certification issued by an accredited European Outdoor Education Academy.
- Learn or practice German. Our programs are bilingual, meaning they always run in English as well as in the native host language.
Once our selection committee has reviewed and given pre-approval to your application, you will be contacted by email so you can go ahead and book an interview.
The interview will be via skype.*
*Non EU Applicants- At this point, you will be required to make a €100 deposit, that will be reimbursed to you in case Camp Europe is unable to offer you a placement. In case of withdrawal from the application process, the deposit will be forfeited.
The Info Package includes:
- A welcome letter from the camp head director.
- A Preliminary Designated Schedule
- A Memorandum of Understanding for you to sign as a pre-agreement.
- A Catalogue of what each camp site has to offer.
- Information regarding training sessions.
- Information Regarding logistics; transfers and shuttles.
- A description list of duties and responsibilities for each position at camp.
- A description of what a regular day looks like.
- A suggested packing list.
- A list with hints and advice for traveling cheap and light.
A list of ALL documents with which you must provide us.
- Copy of your valid passport
- Copy of Plane ticket to Hamburg (HAM) or train ticket to Walsrode for Training session.
- Signed acceptance of the Memorandum of Understanding
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Medical Certificate issued by your family doctor
- Recent Non-Criminal Record Check
- Fee payment
In order to confirm your participation, 390 Euros must be paid once you have been offered a placement. The Fee is intended to cover:
- Full Room & Board
- Airport Shuttle Service (Pick-up)
- 4 different Training Sessions
- International Camp Counselor Training
- Bronze Cross Lifeguard
- Specialty course Training (High ropes, Water sports, Creative & drama, Field sports)
- Inter-Placement Transfers
- Interview Cost
- Admin fee
- Processing Fee
All International participants must send their Fee Payment through this link.
Or through Direct Bank Transfer to:
Beneficiary: International Camps Network CC0001 33019 1995390
Bank of Montreal
SWIFT BIC CODE_ BOFMCAM2
International Banking, Head Office, Montreal
Branch: 2I0 4307 13Oth Avenue SE, Calgary, AB.
Direct Payment Routing Number CC0001
BRANCH TRANSIT NUMBER: 33019
Account Number: 1995390
Training 1: International 2018 Staff Training – June 23rd – 29th, 2018 (approx 140 part.)
Training 2: Alternative International Staff Training – July 1st – 7th, 2018 (approx 20 part.)
Training 3: Alternative International Staff Training – July 15th – 21st, 2018 (approx 20 part.)
Training 4: Alternative International Staff Training – July 29th – August 4th, 2018 (approx 20 part.)
Exclusive Language Coach Training: July 1st – 7th, 2018 (approx 40 part.)
Campsite Address: Camp Adventure Academy, Vethem 58, 29664 Walsrode, Germany.
Campsite Address: Camp Adventure Academy, Vethem 58, 29664 Walsrode, Germany.
There are several ways to get to the camp site. An airport shuttle from Hamburg Airport will only be available for the main training. Shuttles from the train station Walsrode will also be available for all three alternative training sessions. Here are the different options:
Option 1: Airport Shuttle from Hamburg International Airport (HAM) on Friday June 22nd, 2018. Meeting Point: McDonald’s patio on 3rd floor of terminal 1, departure at 6.00pm
Option 2: Walsrode train station shuttle on June 22nd, 2018 at 7:45pm
Option 3: Walsrode train station shuttle on June 23rd, 2018 at 10:45am
Option 4: Self arranged arrival on June 22nd after 8:00pm or June 23rd, 2018 before 11:00am.
Address: Camp Adventure Academy, Vethem 58, 29664 Walsrode, Germany
Option 1: Walsrode train station shuttle on July 1st, 2018 at 3:00pm.
Option 2: Self arranged arrival on July 1st between 4pm and 6pm
Address: Camp Adventure Academy, Vethem 58, 29664 Walsrode, Germany
Our intensive 7 day International Camp Counselor (ICC) training session will focus on your personal skills with the aim to offer you a specific profile-oriented preparation for the role you will perform within the different camp program areas, for which you will get special training sessions whether it be High Ropes, Language Coaching, Survival & Adventure or Arts & Crafts. Furthermore, you will obtain a Bronze Cross -Life Guard- Course complementary to the ICC. Optionally you can also participate in a 1 and a half day First Aid course.
All in all, you will get started with a professional complete 7 days training session through which you will be able to considerably broaden your personal skills. So, you can expect…
- A fantastic week full of an energetic crowd gathering in a patch of forest, just an hour away from Hamburg.
- An opportunity to meet like-minded people and enjoy experiential learning through educational and recreational activities, games & group dynamics.
- A lot of action at our campsite in Walsrode. where you’ll meet other international faces with whom you will spend a wicked summer.
The contents of the International Camp Counselor Training are many. From knowing how you can entertain children and young people to what to do accurately with homesickness: passing through legal aspects, on how to develop presentation skills to perform in front of large groups and other counseling techniques for instructing various activities such as survival, team building, etc; our coaching team has prepared a full training pack for you.
- The only thing you must bring, is your own fantastic & motivated good feeling vibe to start the summer!
- If you don’t have a first aid certificate or your old one has expired, you can complete this course after the International Camp Counselor Training at our campsite in Walsrode.*
- The camp-specific seminars, they all take place directly at each camp-site, during this occasion you will meet with the rest of the team, explore the premises, etc.
All staff members will perform as International Camp Counselors. However, due to different camp programs some staff members will deepen their skills in different program areas.
- The Language Coach training is aimed at those who will perform at one of the Language Camps. During the training you will learn our coaching philosophy and a variety of games and activities, so that you have the tools to keep the campers active and entertained.
- Climbing & High ropes course training will provide you with a CA Academy program Area Assistant Director certificate.
- Outdoor Adventure, Creative & Drama training will provide you with a CA Academy program Area Assistant Director certificate.
- GEOlino training is only available for German speaking staff members with a very good language proficiency. The training will provide you with all necessary skills to lead a newspaper and photography workshop.
Participation in the first aid certification course has a cost of 65 €. It also covers accommodation and meals.
Language Coach, Climbing & High Ropes, Outdoor Adventure, Arts & Crafts training are also free of charge for all International Participants
All senior staff, returning staff and new internees will meet for a fantastic training session full of great moments. Last summer 180 staff members from 30 different nations joined our team.
- The accommodation is in tents. The premises can be found by some people as basic or even rustic. We are all based on community collaboration, so we cook our own meals and we clean and tiddy up ourselves.
- Although mid summer, at night it can get chilly. Bring warm clothes for sleeping.
- Bring Bug spray.
- Sometimes it can get really wet, bring rain gear and plastic bag for protecting your stuff from water.
- Bring any musical instruments, typical stuff from your country and 1 donation item for the yearly charity silent auction.
- There is no WI FI during training session and neither in most camp location. Take advantage of that great chance, unplug yourself and make friends from all over the world
For ALL summer placements, the general training will be held in Germany. Additionally, every camp offers a more specific training, according to the nature of each summer camp. (i.e. Horseback Riding Camp, ESA camp (European Space Agency, Rock Climbing Camp, etc)
If you are assigned to one of these camps, you still have to attend the General Mandatory Camp, and then the corresponding training to your specific placement, which takes place normally 2 or 3 days before the start of the specific program.
All Equipment & Materials and lots of fun.
No weekly stipend, though.
As a Counselor, you will be in charge of a group (6-8) of children / youth. Making sure they are safe, having fun, integrating to camp life, performing their chores, and over all, motivating them to have a great summer time in the outdoors.
As an Adventure Guide you will either assist in the High Ropes Course or run projects like Kayak, Canoeing, Survival.
During the on-site training session, any final contract particulars can be discussed with CE coordinators and senior staff.
Most likely you will have from 3 days and up to 2 weeks between training and first placement. In such case, you can take advantage to go traveling around on your own or with new friends you will make during training.
Working always in mixed age groups, tolerance and respect for diversity is found in the training groups as well as in our camp groups.
Also, you can always access our facebook page to get Social with Camp Europe. Click here
Also, every camp session starts on a Sunday evening and it ends the following Saturday morning. So, between Saturday noon (after clean up) you have time to go out and relax, either on your own or with the rest of the camp’s staff crew.
If you are participating as a Camp Counselor, you can also bring it, if you will.
As for other items, you will get a packing list later on, along with your Preliminary Placement Offer.
If you are interested, make sure to let us know so on your application and during the interview.
No, we are not a travel agency. However, we can provide tips and offer suggestions, based on our experience. Airfare reservations and purchases are the sole responsibility of each participant.
Camp Europe provides a complimentary shuttle service from Hamburg Airport to the General Training site (only for Training 1 – June 22nd).
Additionally, you can also get picked up at the train station in Walsrode.
All participants placed in Ireland, England or Spain will get a confirmation whether they are on a group flight or not (group flight means being responsible for campers transfers) 4 weeks prior to staff training.
- Before training participants should not book a transfer flight as we will arrange and send further instructions by then.
- In case the participant is not on a group flight, then he/she will have to book the plane ticket on their own and will receive a refund up to 300 EUR, upon presenting the invoice.
Camp Europe will also cover the Change/cancellation fee, in case last moment changes occur to the participant’s placement offer. Make sure you buy the supplement for cancellation insurance. Camp Europe will not refund for an entire lost ticket!
About the Fee
We are an International Placement Partnership Organization.
We offer International Placement Opportunities> Summer Staff – Internship – Diplomas.
The Payable Fee that covers many different expenses incurrid on by offering this full service package, such as:
- Full Room & Board
- Shuttle Service
- All Program’s Materials,
- Airport Shuttle
- Transportation to Hosting Camps,
- Plus, all required Administrative Costs.
- In return , you get>
- 4 different exhaustive training sessions that will develop and enhance your personal, physical and teaching skills, such as:
International Camp Counselor Training.
- Bronze Cross Lifeguard Training
- High Ropes Course Assistant Training,
- Language Coach Training,
- Outdoor Adventure Guide Training,
- Crafts & Drama Program Training,
Please also note we have not raised our fee, since we got started 8 years ago. We do have a strong commitment with students and their low budgets. You can tell how much other volunteer opportunities cost these days.
- A weekly stipend that can range between 75 and up to 250 euros / week.
- Your plane ticket,
- Any hostels you might need to stay at, and all meals while you are not at camp / training,
- Any other required transportation,
- Souvenirs & any personals.
- If you decide to complete your 1st aid course during the training week in Germany, you will need to pay 65 EUR for it.
This insurance must cover medical expenses for participants while they participate in the training course and during the full length of their placement. Travel insurance is optional.
About the Weekly Stipend
- Position & roles
- Previous experience
- Hosting camp
- Number of weeks you participate
- The season of the year, etc.
Weekly stipends oscillate between 75 euros/ week up to 250 Euros / week.
Camp Counsellor & Language Coach:
- 75 EUR first year staff members
- 100 EUR 2nd year staff members
- 150 EUR 3rd year staff members
- Spring and Fall seasons: 250 EUR / week
The application process was smooth, clear and straight forward. The training was lots of fun. I really enjoyed the international atmosphere and the constant contact with nature. My placement was full of magic moments. I really connected with my campers. No doubt a great experience!Melissa Capefield - USA
The interviewer was kind and patient with all my questions. The people I met during training were all wonderful individuals and my placements in Germany and Ireland provided me with such fantastic life experiences. A few of us made a deal to keep in contact and meet up again at camp next year.George Harper -Canada
It was a wonderful experience over all. For me, this program was the perfect excuse to do something fun & worth while traveling and interacting with a load of fun individuals. As for my placement, being a language coach was entertaining and I learnt much myself.Anne-Marie Bouchard - Switzerland
This was my second summer with Camp Europe. I was amazed to discover how many familiar faces had returned. We had a good bonding during the previous year, but this time we really became close friends. Sad to go at the end of the summer. Perhaps 3 summers is still a chance.David Meyer - Scotland