Language Program Director
Welcome to the place where you will find the opportunity to lead a group of ESL Teachers & organize lesson plans for children & youth to learn and practice English while enjoying a wonderful summer language program. Camp Europe is committed to offer young motivated native english speakers with considerable experience the opportunity to embark into a director position, by providing them the means to develop their teaching, leadership and communication skills and extend their international work experience at the same time.
Bring forward your previous experience teaching english and collaborate with us guiding younger language coaches.
If you are 21+ years old and looking for an amazing Language Program Director position, you just have found the perfect place.
As a Language Director you are in charge of professionally implementing the camp’s language program. This position is available to Native speakers in English (for English Language Directors) or German natives (for German Language Directors). Students joining our Language Summer Schools attend 20 language lessons a 45min per week. A part from coordinating a team of 2-8 language coaches, you would run three hours of language lessons per morning and afternoon. There is one day per week where you will get sufficient time to prepare the workshop materials and to plan ahead.
Leisure time activities at camp are planned and carried out by our activity leaders. So you can also experience the camp’s spirit first hand you would assist a camp counselor in mentoring a group of kids. This will give you the chance to benefit from a wider variety of tasks and to meet kids outside the class room setting too. A part from gaining further experience in preparing and teaching language lessons, performing the role of a Langauge Director will definitely boost your management and leadership experience. After successfully completing your role we will be more than happy to be your reference for future job applications.
- Camp Directors
- Campsite Manager
Travel stipend: 150 EUR (payed once)
- Desire and ability to work with children and teenager
- Desire to work and live in a camp community 24/7
- Minimum age of 21 years
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Native speaker in English (or German for German Language Directors)
- Training and experience in language teaching (e.g. TEFL certificate, background in teaching)
- Ability to plan, originate, organize, and carry out the camp’s language program
- Ability to supervise a team of language coaches
- Ability to plan language workshop materials for each level (beginners, intermediate and professional level)
- Ability to teach language lessons, target group: kids and teenagers aged 10-17 years
- Ability to organize a language proficiency level check
- Good character, integrity, and ability to adapt to camp setting
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control
The freedom to plan your own creative/outdoor activities was great. My favourite 4 aspects were: The other teamers, The campers, The night staff meetings and the impressive enthusiastic campfires. Also, that I got to improve my German language skills.
Evelyn Henderson - USA
The training week was lots of fun, a great start. Got to meet lots of interesting people and learn lots of different aspects about counseling children & youth. The four week session was intense and rewarding. I got to connect and bond deeply with campers and counselor peers alike.
Joe Peter Halloway- Scotland
The other camp counselors were fantastic. The excursions were amazing (Eifelpark & Schwimmbad). It was nice to get a new group of girls every week. I guided the archery course. This was one of the highlights each week and the girls absolutely loved it. It is not something most kids have access to, so they are very interested in trying it out. It is also relatively easy to explain and for them to master.
Jana Klages Miller- Milwaukee
The whole Camp atmosphere, it was actually like a big family where everyone helped each other every day. Some of my best memories: My wonderful tent groups with whom I had an absolutely wonderful time. The singing in the kitchen while we were cooking or cleaning up. That one night we had a million stars in the sky during the hike.
Juan Carlos Sullka- Bolivia
Application Process for Language Program Director
The Preliminary Placement Offer Package includes:
- A welcome letter from the camp head director, Jan Vieth.
- A Preliminary Placement Offer
- A Memorandum of Understanding for you to sign as a preliminary contract.
- A Catalogue of what each camp site has to offer.
- Information regarding training sessions.
- Information Regarding logistics; transfers and shuttles.
- A description list of duties and responsibilities for each position at camp.
- A description of what a regular day looks like.
- A packing list.
- A list with hints and advice for traveling, cheap and light.
- A list of ALL documents you must provide us.
- Copy of your valid passport
- Copy of Plane ticket to Hamburg (HAM) or train ticket to Walsrode for Training session.
- Signed acceptance of the Memorandum of Understanding
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Recent Non-Criminal Record Check
- Medical certificate
- Total Fee payment of 190 Euros
In order to confirm your participation, 250 Euros is to be paid once you have been offered a placement. The Fee is intended to cover:
- Full Room & Board
- Airport Shuttle Service (Pick-up)
- 4 different Training Sessions
- International Camp Counselor Training
- Bronze Cross Lifeguard
- 2 week training: International Camp Counselor training + Language Coach Training)
- Inter-Placement Transfers
- Interview Cost
- Admin fee
- Processing Fee
All Language Coach participants must send their Fee Payment through this link.
Or through Direct Bank Transfer to:
Beneficiary: International Camps Network CC0001 33019 1995390
Bank of Montreal
SWIFT BIC CODE_ BOFMCAM2
International Banking, Head Office, Montreal
Branch: 2I0 4307 13Oth Avenue SE, Calgary, AB.
Direct Payment Routing Number CC0001
BRANCH TRANSIT NUMBER: 33019
Account Number: 1995390
2019 Training sessions will take place in Walsrode (Northern Germany):
Main training: June 22nd to June 28th
June 22nd – June 25th International Camp Counselor mandatory for all Camp Counselors
June 25th afternoon Life Guarding Bronze (Group 1) mandatory for all Camp Counselors (exceptions possible)
June 26th – June 27th GEOlino Training parallel sessions – mandatory for all GEOlino Coaches
High Ropes Assistant parallel sessions – mandatory for all High Ropes Course Assistants
Adventure, Survival, Creative parallel sessions – mandatory: for everybody else
June 27th – June 28th First aid certification optional (you can book it for 65 EUR)
Life Guarding Bronze (Group 2) mandatory for almost every Camp Counselorspermittedceptions permited)
Alternative Training 2: July 15th – July 21st
Alternative Training 3- July 29th – August 4th
Address: Camp Adventure Academy, Vethem 58, 29664 Walsrode, Germany
Campsite Address: Camp Adventure Academy, Vethem 58, 29664 Walsrode, Germany.
In order to arrive to our main campsite for training>
Option 1: Airport Shuttle from Hamburg International Airport (HAM) on Friday June 21st, 2019. Meeting Point: McDonald’s patio on 3rd floor of terminal 1, departure at 6.00pm
Option 2: Walsrode train station shuttle on June 21st, 2019 at 7:45pm
Option 3: Walsrode train station shuttle on June 22nd, 2019 at 10:45am
Option 4: Self arranged arrival on June 21st after 8:00pm or June 22nd before 11:00am
Our intensive 7 day International Camp Counselor (ICC) training session will focus on your personal skills with the aim to offer you a specific profile-oriented preparation for the role you will perform within the different camp program areas, for which you will get special training sessions whether it be High Ropes, Language Coaching, Survival & Adventure or Arts & Crafts. Furthermore, you will obtain a Bronze Cross -Life Guard- Course complementary to the ICC. Optionally you can also participate in a 1 and a half day First Aid course.
All in all, you will get started with a professional complete 7 days training session through which you will be able to considerably broaden your personal skills. So, you can expect…
- A fantastic week full of an energetic crowd gathering in a patch of forest, just an hour away from Hamburg.
- An opportunity to meet like-minded people and enjoy experiential learning through educational and recreational activities, games & group dynamics.
- A lot of action at our campsite in Walsrode. where you’ll meet other international faces with whom you will spend a wicked summer.
The contents of the International Camp Counselor Training are many. From knowing how you can entertain children and young people to what to do accurately with homesickness: passing through legal aspects, on how to develop presentation skills to perform in front of large groups and other counseling techniques for instructing various activities such as survival, team building, etc; our coaching team has prepared a full training pack for you.
- The only thing you must bring, is your own fantastic & motivated good feeling vibe to start the summer!
- If you don’t have a first aid certificate or your old one has expired, you can complete this course after the International Camp Counselor Training at our campsite in Walsrode.*
- The camp-specific seminars, they all take place directly at each camp-site, during this occasion you will meet with the rest of the team, explore the premises, etc.
All staff members will perform as International Camp Counselors. However, due to different camp programs some staff members will deepen their skills in different program areas.
- The Language Coach training is aimed at those who will perform at one of the Language Camps. During the training you will learn our coaching philosophy and a variety of games and activities, so that you have the tools to keep the campers active and entertained.
- Climbing & High ropes course training will provide you with a CA Academy program Area Assistant Director certificate.
- Outdoor Adventure, Creative & Drama training will provide you with a CA Academy program Area Assistant Director certificate.
- GEOlino training is only available for German speaking staff members with a very good language proficiency. The training will provide you with all necessary skills to lead a newspaper and photography workshop.
Participation in the first aid certification course has a cost of 65 €. It also covers accommodation and meals.
Language Coach, Climbing & High Ropes, Outdoor Adventure, Arts & Crafts training are also free of charge for all International Participants
All senior staff, returning staff and new internees will meet for a fantastic training session full of great moments
- The accommodation is in tents. The premises can be found by some people as basic or even rustic. We are all based on community collaboration, so we cook our own meals and we clean and tiddy up ourselves.
- Although mid summer, at night it can get chilly. Bring warm clothes for sleeping.
- Bring Bug spray.
- Sometimes it can get really wet, bring rain gear and plastic bag for protecting your stuff from water.
- Bring any musical instruments, typical stuff from your country and 1 donation item for the yearly charity silent auction.
- There is no WI FI during training session and neither in most camp location. Take advantage of that great chance, unplug yourself and make friends from all over the world
For ALL summer placements, the general training will be held in Germany. Additionally, every camp offers a more specific training, according to the nature of each summer camp. (i.e. Horseback Riding Camp, ESA camp (European Space Agency, Rock Climbing Camp, etc)
If you are assigned to one of these camps, you still have to attend the General Mandatory Camp, and then the corresponding training to your specific placement, which takes place normally 2 or 3 days before the start of the specific program.
All Equipment & Materials and lots of fun.
No weekly stipend, though.
As a Counselor, you will be in charge of a group (6-8) of children / youth. Making sure they are safe, having fun, integrating to camp life, performing their chores, and over all, motivating them to have a great summer time in the outdoors.
As an Adventure Guide you will either assist in the High Ropes Course or run projects like Kayak, Canoeing, Survival.
During the on-site training session, any final contract particulars can be discussed with CE coordinators and senior staff.
Most likely you will have from 3 days and up to 2 weeks between training and first placement. In such case, you can take advantage to go traveling around on your own or with new friends you will make during training.
Working always in mixed age groups, tolerance and respect for diversity is found in the training groups as well as in our camp groups.
Also, you can always access our facebook page to get Social with Camp Europe. Click here
Also, every camp session starts on a Sunday evening and it ends the following Saturday morning. So, between Saturday noon (after clean up) you have time to go out and relax, either on your own or with the rest of the camp’s staff crew.
If you are participating as a Camp Counselor, you can also bring it, if you will.
As for other items, you will get a packing list later on, along with your Preliminary Placement Offer.
If you are interested, make sure to let us know so on your application and during the interview.
No, we are not a travel agency. However, we can provide tips and offer suggestions, based on our experience. Airfare reservations and purchases are the sole responsibility of each participant.
Camp Europe provides a shuttle service from Hamburg Airport to the General Training site. You can also get picked up at the train station in Walsrode.
All participants placed in Ireland, England or Spain will get a confirmation whether they are on a group flight or not (group flight means being responsible for campers transfers) 4 weeks prior to staff training.
- Before training participants should not book a transfer flight as we will arrange and send further instructions by then.
- In case the participant is not on a group flight, then he/she will have to book the plane ticket on their own and will receive a refund up to 300 EUR, upon presenting the invoice.
Camp Europe will also cover the Change/cancellation fee, in case last moment changes occur to the participant’s placement offer. Make sure you buy the supplement for cancellation insurance. Camp Europe will not refund for an entire lost ticket!
About the Fee
We are an International Placement Partnership Organization.
We offer International Placement Opportunities> Summer Staff – Internship – Diplomas.
The Payable Fee that covers many different expenses incurrid on by offering this full service package, such as:
- Full Room & Board
- Shuttle Service
- All Program’s Materials,
- Airport Shuttle
- Transportation to Hosting Camps,
- Plus, all required Administrative Costs.
- In return , you get>
- 4 different exhaustive training sessions that will develop and enhance your personal, physical and teaching skills, such as:
International Camp Counselor Training.
- Bronze Cross Lifeguard Training
- High Ropes Course Assistant Training,
- Language Coach Training,
- Outdoor Adventure Guide Training,
- Crafts & Drama Program Training,
Please also note we have not raised our fee, since we got started 8 years ago. We do have a strong commitment with students and their low budgets. You can tell how much other volunteer opportunities cost these days.
- A weekly stipend that can range between 75 and up to 250 euros / week.
- Your plane ticket,
- Any hostels you might need to stay at, and all meals while you are not at camp / training,
- Any other required transportation,
- Souvenirs & any personals.
- If you decide to complete your 1st aid course during the training week in Germany, you will need to pay 65 EUR for it.
This insurance must cover medical expenses for participants while they participate in the training course and during the full length of their placement. Travel insurance is optional.
About the Weekly Stipend
- Position & roles
- Previous experience
- Hosting camp
- Number of weeks you participate
- The season of the year, etc.
Weekly stipends oscillate between 75 euros/ week up to 250 Euros / week.
Camp Counsellor & Language Coach:
- 75 EUR first year staff members
- 100 EUR 2nd year staff members
- 150 EUR 3rd year staff members
- Spring and Fall seasons: 250 EUR / week